Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 1

I'm training for a 5k, but I won't start the first "official" week of training until I've been released by my doctor after having surgery. (I have that appt scheduled for next Wednesday, June 9th)

It's hard to believe that 3 weeks ago yesterday, I was getting ready to go get cut open...lol. I feel so much better after having my hysterectomy, but after my adventure this morning, I'm finding out that even though I sometimes forget that I've just had major surgery, my BODY does NOT. :)

Until my medical release happens, I will be walking 30 minutes every day, and exercising for 30 minutes in the afternoon for 5 days of the week.

Sooooo, here's how the first day went:
I got up at 7am, which I have not been up that early since the surgery!! Plus, we have been going to bed late, especially since our youth ministry event, Final Fling, kept me up till 4 am Monday morning...but I woke up pretty much right away. It took me 15 minutes to get ready to be out the door. Things to remember: 1)Change the time on my watch to the correct hour. (not detrimental, just annoying when I want to know the time!) 2) I didn't use the i-pod today, and I'd really like to, because I couldn't find the ear plugs and didn't want to waste time looking now. 3) I DID not like the water bottle I used today...it was the first one I grabbed because my favorite one was dirty, but it's metal and it makes the water taste weird.

4) This change must happen because it took me 15 minutes to get to the track this morning after leaving my house.

It only took me 5 minutes to get home...the difference? On the way to the track this morning, a sweet neighbor, a loving and friendly lady from our church was watering her flowers this morning...(she has a beautiful yard!!) BUT, I stopped to say hi and ended up talking for 10 minutes. lol She is a great lady, and I love to hear her stories, she has been so thoughtful to us since we've moved here; but I didn't plan on spending that much time just to get to the track, because I expected to be back at 7:45 to blog and make breakfast for my family...15 minutes isn't much when I think about the relationship that I'm building with this sweet lady, but maybe I need to leave a little bit earlier so that I can PLAN on talking with her for a bit every morning if she's out there??

Physically, it felt good but exhausting!! The weather was nice, but getting warmer, so maybe I SHOULD get out there a little earlier since I didn't grow up in this west Texas sun!! :) I only walked 1 mile today, but that's more than I've walked since having surgery, so I see this as a small accomplishment! My middle back was beginning to hurt half way through, and I'm not sure why...maybe my posture? I've read that you have to consciously stick your chest out more when you're tired to maintain good posture while running, so maybe it's true for walking too? I used my New Balance shoes this morning to walk in, to see if they're the pair I want to run in too...not sure. They are "running shoes"...bought in the running shoes section at Academy anyway...lol. But I bought them because I liked the colors, that was my only qualification at the time...ah, me. I'm buying a few more comfy shorts today, so I can add that to my wardrobe, yay!

Well, for today, that's all! Going to go down some more water and have my breakfast!! Cheers to new beginnings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment