Tuesday, June 15, 2010

My New Best Friends

I'd like to introduce my new best friends for the week:
and

I didn't start my training yesterday and at first I was really mad at myself. I wondered if I was just being a wimp and should have got out there anyway. I didn't want to just push myself back another week, because that's what I've always done. "I'll just do it later" has been my mantra for most of my life...not just about laundry or cleaning house, but also about making friends (or deeper friendships) and publishing some of the things I've written. I felt like I was throwing my hands up in defeat before I'd even started.

But then my Daniel reassured me that pushing back a week does not mean that I've given up. I've never run before AND I'm still recovering from surgery; I need to make sure I'm listening to my body and giving it what it needs: sometimes that's rest and then there will be times that my body will be ready and needing exercising; and I'll have to listen then too.

I'm just so ready, emotionally/mentally anyway, to start learning/training how to run. I was so set on starting; that to wait feels like stopping or giving up. But I'm not. I've told many friends that I want to run a 5k and hopefully a 10k by Christmas...hopefully that means that there is someone out there to hold me accountable. Isn't that what most of us lack the most? No matter what are goals are, if we don't have accountability it's 100x easier to quit. Or never start.

My brother is dating an amazing girl that I hope will someday soon become my sister. Annie is amazing in so many ways. She's a dancer, she loves the beach and New York, she wants to be a teacher and is a REAL Christian without being a weirdo. (you know what I mean) Annie also has lupus in her kidney. She's gone through chemo treatments that, at this point, have put her lupus now into an "inactive" stage!!! But, she has also lost her hair, has been VERY sick and weak at times, and can't be in the sun anymore. She is a fighter and her body is catching that spirit too!

I have another friend who has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She has a wonderful husband and 3 great kids. She, also, has gone through chemo and is still fighting. She, also, has lost her hair and has been VERY sick and weak at times. She is a fighter and her body is catching that spirit too!

I CAN run. I CAN be healthy. I have no reason NOT to be. I am perfectly capable. If I have friends who can go through hell on earth and yet be amazing people; let alone get out bed, I can learn to run. So, when my drainage returns to a mostly normal color and I stop coughing long enough to breathe and sleep for decent amounts at a time....I will run. (and walk...lol) And it will be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment