Monday, June 28, 2010

I'm a baby runner

Saturday I did my 3rd session. My sister and bro-in-law were in visiting, and at Saturday morning at 3 am as we finished up our last round of Farkle (we are wild and crazy folks, I'm telling you!) I decided I was not going to go running at 6am. lol So that afternoon, we were going to all walk to the park and I was going to get my run/walk on. I'd asked my sister if she wanted to run/walk with me (since I'm in the very beginning and she's been working out lately, so she's in pretty good shape) and she said it sounded like fun! Then she realized that she forgot to pack her tennis shoes and all she had were flops and sandals...not conducive to running on a gravel path. And I have wimpy 6 1/2 -7 size feet compared to her 8 1/2 ones. :( The old me would have felt bad for doing something without her since she was here to visit ME this weekend, but she seemed ok with me ditching her for a short 45-60 minutes, so she, her husband and my sweet husband played soccer and dug in the dirt with our 4 kids while I :
Session 3 (40 minutes) Run 30 seconds. Walk 4 minutes and 30 seconds. Do this 8 times.
Done and done. I walked/ran a little over 6 miles total this week!!! And I remembered why I run in the mornings....yuck. I was so sweaty AND it was so humid because we actually have some rain going on in west Texas!! There was some really pretty lightning going on later that night!

It had been raining off and on last night, and I have never ran (on purpose) in the rain before, and I decided that a sleepy 6am wet run was not in the cards this morning. So, I went this afternoon and sweated my hiney off. I did about 2 1/2 miles!! Yay, me!! lol
Session 1 (45 minutes) Run 1 minute. Walk 4 minutes. Do this 9 times.
Done and Done.
I really wanted to quit about time 7. Really, really wanted to. Had all kinds of excuses going through my head. Daniel was at home with the two girls, and he was tired and grumpy when I left, so I thought it might be best for all of us if I just went home to take over/help out. I was hurting in my ankles/calves bad. I started to get kind of fuzzy feeling in my head. (not breathing right/enough oxygen?? Is that what a "runner's high" really is?? jk) Daniel and I haven't gotten to spend much time together lately; maybe I should cut it short and go home...
But I really wanted to do this. People decide to do harder and more trying things than this every day....I can finish walking/running for 45 minutes. And I did!!! Woot! I feel like such a baby sometimes when I look at how whiny I am about training...but I AM a "baby runner." Now, if I"m still like this in 3 months, somebody should tell me to put my big girl panties on...but for now...I think it's normal to be a "baby" SOMETIMES.
4 more days with my nephew and neice, and then this weekend we bring our kiddos to my parents house for 3 WEEKS! 3 WEEKS people!! Alas, this 3 weeks is not to be spent in Italy like I've been day dreaming about...but rather with teenagers. 1 week getting ready for the next two weeks; 1 week with smelly teenagers as we paint houses, mow yards, roof houses, etc. And 1 week with teenagers at camp playing silly games and figuring out life. I love this time with our students/teenagers, but I miss my kids! I'm also trying to figure out ways to incorporate running into the schedule for those weeks of madness...it'll work somehow, right?!?

4 comments:

  1. I miss you. I thought to start "running" but now I don't think that's going to work out. I do think I might start riding my bike again, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i just wanted to let you know that you are my Newman's Own Organics giveaway winner.

    please email me your shipping information at erica_haggins@hotmail.com so i can get your prize out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a beginner in just about the same phase as you. It is interesting to see how you are going about it compared to me. I document mine at www.bayugrl.com. I find my program to be a little too hard. I might switch to yours if I don't get any better this week. Good luck! PS. I am in Florida. Could we have possibly picked a hotter time of year to try this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, bayugrl, thanks for commenting! I was orginally going to do the couch25k training, but I read several blogs that said it got too hard too fast; and so they switched. I am NOT athletic at all; literally never played a sport, was a cute band nerd in high school/college; but I want to stay healthy so I wanted to learn to run well. Being a baby non-athlete, I thought I'd go with this plan.
    I also have been out for a month, not finding/making time while I was gone...so I will be starting over at the beginning tomorrow. It is ridiculously hot here (why I go in the am mostly) but I'm grateful I don't have your humidity!! Like you said, I'm sure you get used to it...but geesh. :D Happy running!!!

    ReplyDelete